The concept of SEM is quite simple, when a person searches the web through either a text box or by clicking through a directory hierarchy, he or she is in “hunt mode.” This signals to the search engine (and to marketers) that the person is looking for relevant information and is open to digesting and acting on the information at their fingertips, all made possible by a search engine. This makes search engine results some of the best sources of targeted traffic, whether this traffic originates from “organic” unpaid search listings or paid advertising listings.
What is SEM?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is the process of gaining website traffic by purchasing ads on search engines. It involves implementing an online marketing strategy in terms of your website’s brand identity, in order to ensure that your website is visible on the internet especially in terms of SEO, PPC and other forms of internet marketing such as banner ad campaigns. Search Engine Marketing also involves managing your online reputation and a host of other online marketing initiatives. Essentially Search Engine Marketing equals online visibility for your brand.
Benefits of SEM
- SEM helps to connect potential clients directly with your business.
- SEM is considered the most cost-effective marketing strategy, as you decide your budget for your campaigns.
- 80% of internet traffic rely on search engines and online ads in locating websites.
- Using the mix of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Pay per click (PPC), and Local Search Marketing, your business website will get ahead of the competition.
- Some businesses operate around-the-clock so it makes possible to market their services or products online 24/7.
- SEM leads to a better return on your investment (ROI).
Search Engine Marketing Activities:
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
- PPC (pay-per-click) – some ads, particularly those served to mobile search users, may be charged by the number of clicks that resulted in a direct call from a smartphone.
- CPC (cost-per-click) – most search ads are sold on a CPC / PPC basis, but some advertising options may also be sold on a CPM basis
- CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions)
SEM offers a set of marketing methods that increases the visibility of your website in search engine results pages (SERPs). If you aren’t in the search results when your customers or prospective customers are searching, then your competition is. You may lose that customer or prospect forever to any competitors who are present. Sound scary? So, be in the right place in the search engine results pages at the perfect time.